Below are a number of the most frequently asked questions that we receive about van insurance together with suitable, informative answers. Hopefully, as a result of reading these you will have a better understanding about van insurance enabling you to make soundly based decisions about this important type of insurance.

There are three levels of van insurance – third party, third party fire and theft and fully comprehensive.

Third Party Only – Legally, as a minimum requirement, you must have third party cover that insures you against claims made by other people for damage to their vehicle, themselves or their property caused by your van. It does not cover you for any injury to yourself or damage to your van. Therefore, this tends to be the cheapest level of cover.

Third Party, Fire and Theft – In addition to what is covered under third party cover, third party, fire and theft provides cover for damage to your van due to fire or theft. This is usually the next most expensive level of van insurance.

Fully Comprehensive – In addition to what is covered under the previously two mentioned levels of cover, fully comprehensive insurance will cover you for damage to your own van even if you are responsible for an accident. This tends to be the most expensive level of van insurance.

They are as follows: –

  • Social use only
  • Carriage of your own goods
  • Carriage of goods that are for hire and reward
  • Haulage

It is important that the correct category is chosen. For instance, if you were a courier carrying other people’s goods neither social or the carriage of your own goods categories would be suitable as you would need either of the last two categories mentioned above.

This will vary between insurance companies with some stating that the minimum age may be 19 or 21 and the maximum age possibly being 65 or 70. The insurance company may also insist that you have held your driving license for at least 12 months.

Yes it may do. For instance, if you spend more time driving the van such as if you are a courier travelling long distances than you are more likely to have an accident than someone that only makes a short journey to get to their place of work and then leaves the van parked for the day until then returning home or to their business premises in the vehicle.

Yes, there are two types of excess. A compulsory excess that is designed to stop small claims being made that are costly to process and a voluntary excess that allows you to choose to pay more towards the cost of any claim.

For instance, if your policy had a compulsory excess of £100 and you had chosen a voluntary excess of £200 and claimed £2,000 for damage to your van you would receive £1,700 towards the cost of the claim from the van insurance company with you having to pay the balance of £300.

Yes. If you fit an alarm and an engine immobiliser your premium is likely to be lower than if you did not bother.

Yes, there are 20 van insurance groups. Factors such as the make and model of van, its size, its weight, its performance and the likely repair costs all affect which group it comes under. The higher the group then the larger the van insurance premium will be. Therefore, before deciding upon which van to buy it may be worth looking at which insurance group the vehicle will come under.

Yes, this may be possible depending upon how long you have been driving. The more experience that you have of driving then the larger the no claims discount may be.

Yes it may be possible to add one or more named drivers to the policy so that they can also drive the vehicle but this may affect the van insurance premium.

Yes. If you park your van on the road outside your home at night it is more likely to be stolen than if it were parked in a secure compound. Therefore, if the former were the case the premium would be higher.

Yes, the van insurance company may provide optional extras that could include such things as breakdown cover and legal expenses cover.

Yes, unless you have completed a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) declaring that your van is being kept off the public road, you must insure your van.